Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fast - Days 5 and 6

Day 5
The fifth day, was a Sunday.  Since we all went to SS and church, the first part of the day was busy and there was not much down time to make my wandering mind available for the FB compulsion.  The after noon and evening was spent setting up Christmas decorations inside the house.  Afterward, Laurie tagged me in another status and I wanted to go check it.

I find myself still rationalizing getting on before the one week limit with excuses that are actually valid.  I have a FB friend who has sent me private messages when he is struggling and I wonder if he has sent me a message, and I have missed the opportunity to be available for him.  That is the most persistent thought.

Day 6
My first traditional day back at work and I must say, I was more industrious.  The compulsion is still there after session to "cool down" and regroup by checking FB, but I have not given in to the compulsion.  I find myself glancing at other people's phone screens when they are on FB or Twitter. 

I recently read an article that linked an increase of Narcissism to social networking.  That actually makes sense because we assume that people are interested enough in us to care about what we are having for lunch or what we are craving.  FB is centered around the self.  I hope to get beyond that.  Although I will be getting back on FB after the 7th day.  I will attempt to be more purposeful in my posting and diligent with my time.

No comments: