Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Random

Just a couple random thoughts I had on the drive into work today.

1. I started an experiment to see how much slowing down on the highway would truly save on gas. Driving to work for me means about 18 miles, 15 of which are highway with very little traffic (i.e. no "stop-start" rush hours)and about 6 intersections off the highway at least 3 of which I have timed out to catch the green light. Prior to the experiment I was filling up with gas once a week - occasionally once every 8 days. Last Tuesday (8 days ago) I filled up after work. I have slowed my highway driving to 60 MPH from 70-73 MPH. Today I am still above the "half tank" (barely).

2. Dry cleaners who wish to save money yet still maintain a semblance of organization could e-mail claim slips to customers. Saves on paper and ink costs and provides the consumer with at least the idea that they will keep the order straight. I thought first about texting slips, but realized that would probably require development of new software and expensive computer upgrades. Surely there is a cost-effective, streamline way to e-mail them.

2 comments:

emily and kyle said...

nice stuff...I might have to take that gas challenge too...doesn't sound too shabby!

Eric Evans said...

I have dropped my mph on the way home (still live at the lake) to 55 and am saving over $100 a month and/or getting an additional 5 mph minimum. Good stuff - more Gomez when you do that!