Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Irby Vaca Day 4

If I could plan the perfect birthday for my amazing wife it would include these elements: family, fireworks, baseball, and country music. She got it this year and the planning was not even up to me.

Emily planned out a great day for us starting with a great lazy morning. Well, for most of the family. Emily, Nece, and I went to a local trail for a morning workout. Emily is a runner and I have been pretty consistent on my eliptical the last few months, so I thought I would try running with Emily. I warned her before leaving and a couple times before we started that I was not a runner and I am just going to try and keep up. Nece has foot problems so she knew from the start that she was going to walk and not run. Emily assured me that she was taking it slow because she is just now getting back into running. Her plan: walk for first five minutes, run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute, and run 3 more. So that amounted to 5 3 minute running intervals 3.5 of which I was able to complete. And I was reminded why I don't run... I hate it. Emily was kind and made excuses for me such a adjusting to the humidity. Thanks Emily. Nece actually pushed herself and ran some.

We came back to the house after a quick jaunt to the grocery store and Laurie, Wanda, Brooke, and Nece worked on cooking a big breakfast featuring Kyle's chocolate gravy. The rest of the morning and early afternoon was lazy. Which was good because the rest of the evening proved to be fun but exhausting.

Late afternoon we headed to St. Louis for a quick look at the Arch and then to Busch Stadium to watch the Cardinals beat the Reds. It was a great game! We almost missed it. When we got to the stadium, Emily realized she forgot the tickets. It is at tjs point of the post Emily expects me to rail on her and condemn her for being so irresponsible, etc. but she did a fine job of doing that to herself already. We managed to find out that they can reprint our tickets easily with the credit card that purchased them, but we didn't have that either. So after a few minutes of guessing rows, quoting payment prices and other details, Emily was able to get our tickets reprinted thanks to a very kind window worker named Malcom. Kudos to Emily and Malcom!!

After the game we headed back to the Arch and caught the last half of Montgomery Gentry's concert. My view was somewhat obstructed by a couple obviously madly in love and in their own little world. They were in a long embrace singing all the songs to one another and kissing at every pause in the lyrics. It was disgusting.

After the show the REAL show started. A fantastic fireworks display like none I have ever seen. It was a great way to end the evening. Too bad it didn't end there. We had to hike back to our vehicles among thousands of other people most of whom were drunk and stoned. We caught plenty of wife's of an illegal substance as we were walking. The ironman award goes to my mother-in-law, Wanda who never gave up on all the walking and hiking throughout the day. She even climbed over a cement baracade to get to our exit down to our cars.

Well that sums up day 4. Day 5 is driving for 13 hours and paying more damn tolls through Oklahoma. I am typing this travel log from my iPhone so, please excuse any spelling errors. A few pictures will be added at a later time.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: