Monday, January 14, 2008

Not So Much...

I fully recognize that January is half over. I also recognize that this post is nearly 2 months after the last post. Both of these recognitions are reflective of my New Year's resolution.

As I pondered the traditional resolutions - losing weight, getting in shape, being more consistent with spiritual disciplines, blogging more consistently -- a flaw in much of our thinking this time of year came into focus. It seems most of us believe that in order to have self-improvement, we are to "DO" more. This insight became most clear as I started planning for my resolutions. Trying to find time in an already stretched schedule just created more stress.

Therefore, it is my resolution for self-improvement to do nothing new. When I can exercise, I will. I will continue to eat the same way I have been. I will not look at the date of my last blog posting and compare my inconsistency with those who blog nearly every day. One thing I will do is relax (e.g. do NOTHING) with my family. I will continue to enjoy the presence of God through prayer and personal study without the notion that I need to do MORE. I will do less in order to become more.

1 comment:

emily and kyle said...

Amen to that! I've been forcing myself to not consume my time with just busy stuff and doing. I'm working at prioritizing...then putting aside the other...it'll get done eventually...and focusing on relationships...and some how the time has been there and I feel much more relaxed and rejuvenated! Crazy!