Thursday, January 31, 2008

Presence

"When I am tempted to complain about God's lack of presence, I remind myself that God has much more reason to complain about my lack of presence."

Initially, when I read that statement, I interpreted it legalistically (e.g. "You're not spending enough time in prayer or Bible study."). While that is partially true, that is a narrow definition of "presence." Do I expect God to only be present when I am in prayer, Bible study, or at church? That is PART of the equation, but certainly not the whole.

To think of "presence" relationally I think about being engaged both emotionally and physically. I can be physically present at home but tune everyone out via television, reading, or getting on the internet. In essence -- ignoring my family with whom I am physically present.

I don't like it when it seems like God is ignoring me. I also know how often I ignore Him. As life is being lived with the presence of the Holy Spirit within me, I ignore His voice. Ironically, that's one more thing that requires His attention in me and mine in Him to overcome.

No comments: