Monday, May 19, 2008

A Prayer for My Daughter


On April 2, my daughter turned 13. That's 13 YEARS old. I'm not handling it very well.

I understand that this is just the beginning of many years where my baby girl is less and less a baby and more and more a lady.

To top it all off, on May 16 she had her first "date." Well, it wasn't a date, date. She went to a banquet with a boy and afterwards she, he, and all her friends stayed for a dance at which I don't think they ever danced together. I can handle that, OK.

These adolescent years are so critical, and I know she will be faced with choices and situations that will have a hand in defining who she will be.



All this has me thinking more and more of the lady I want her to become. I want her to be a woman of deep faith and love for God that spills over into her love for people. With all the choices she is facing I want Christ to be her first consideration and final word. There will be mistakes and there will be hard times. It is in those she will come to understand and appreciate grace. It is going to be difficult for me to see her hurt with her first heart break and struggle with regret.

I want to be the hands, feet, arms, and ears of God to her through all this to demonstrate our Father's love and grace.

As I was waiting for our Sunday morning Bible Study to begin, I was reading through the first chapter of Phillipians and ran across a passage that immediately caused me to think of my daughter.

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in
knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best
and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of
righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ -- to the glory and praise of
God. (Philippians 1:9-11)


Paul sums up what I have in my heart for my daughter as we enter into this phase of her life. I want her love of God to abound through her increased knowledge and understanding of Him so that He will provide her witih the ability to make Christ-centered choices and ultimately point others to the same God she is following and loving.

I still can't believe she is 13... years... that is...

8 comments:

Brooke said...

You have been blessed with an amazing daughter and have been amazing parents to her. She has really grown into a beautiful and smart young lady. I love the picture of the two of you, Laurie hadn't posted that one. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

She looks absolutely beautiful and what a proud father you are. A little nervous looking, but proud. If I can say only one small thing it would be this...She is your daughter and can see, feel, and know about God's love for her through you..You've done your part and will continue to forever, now let her be 13..

Anonymous said...

Trust me Paul, I do not in any way look forward to the time when Cadence notices boys.....maybe she will want to become a nun.

Anonymous said...

As my mother always said to me "If I could have given you up for adoption for the years of 13 to 18, I would have..." LOL Thank the Lord I have two boys because I really don't know what I would do with a girl (especially if she was anything like I was growing up!)Good luck! Because its hard enough having a teenager, let alone having a female teenager! LOL

But the truth is, I'm sure she will be an amazing teenager and adult. All we can do is raise them the best way can while they are on loan to us from God. If she is anything like you were as a youngster (many, many moons ago), I don't think you'll have anything to worry about!

Have fun!!

Bonnie said...

Wow! 13! I can't believe that she's that old. It just seems like yesterday she was going with us on our trip to South Padre... sitting in her car seat, playing with her baby doll. I have the cutest picture of her from that trip. When I get settled in Lubbock I'll try to find it and scan it and send it to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Reverse the numbers -- my YOUNGEST daughter just turned 31. I can remember holding her the day she was born and it seems only yesterday. Now she is the mother of three and the "preacher's wife" in Ames, OK. But to me, she will always be my baby girl. Congratulations. They grow so fast, enjoy them while you can. God's many blessings upon you.

Al

Anonymous said...

Wow! 13. Wow. She's beautiful and I know that you are an awesome dad, instilling in her the same love for God that you have. She is BLESSED to have you and Laurie! Can't wait to see ya this weekend! :)

emily and kyle said...

I feel like Laurie saying this about me....I can't believe she is THIRTEEN!! She is making me feel old. You are a great dad and she is lucky to have someone praying for her and supporting her.

P.S. I realize this is way late...I'm just now catching up on reading everything! :)