Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Man with the Horned-rimmed Glasses

I have jumped on the "Heroes" bandwagon late. Fortunately I have been able to DVR most of the episodes via SciFi Channel marathon. When I watch a series like this I am VERY anal about watching all the episodes in order. Last night I started episode 17: Company Man and had to turn it off because it was late. This morning I finished watching it as I ate breakfast. By the end of my second cup of coffee, I was crying like a baby!

One thing you have to understand about me is that I am NOT a very emotionally expressive person when it comes to television and movies. The last time I remember crying in a movie was during Passion of the Christ. When Jesus looked at Peter across the courtyard after the denials, it tore me up! Well, today, Heroes had a very similar effect. If you are a fan of the show and have not gotten to episode 17 yet, DON'T READ THIS BLOG! There are major "spoilers."

For those of you who have not seen the show, a little background is important. You see, there is this "man with the horned-rimmed glasses" that is a supporting character. At the first of the series you think maybe he's the "evil villian -- Sylar" and then you get confused as to whether or not he is a "good guy" or a "bad guy." He's the father of "the cheerleader" Claire, but he is also very connected with an organization that captures these genetically mutated people and "tags" them with tracking devices. He knows about his daughter being one of these genetically mutated people and throughout you wonder if he is just waiting for the right time to get her, or if he really does care about her and is trying to protect her. His motives are always in question, and most of the time I thought he was just an evil man.

All your questions are answered in episode 17. You find out that he really does love his "Claire Bear" and has to make the ultimate sacrifice for her. In order to protect her, he submits to this mutated guy who has the ability to erase memories on varying levels (e.g. erase the day, erase a lifetime). The "man with the horned-rimmed glasses" knows that if he has any recollection of his 16 year-old daughter that his "company" could track her down and ultimately end her life. So he tells this memory eraser to "go deep and take everything out." It was a very emotional scene because Claire is with them and is begging him not to do it. He knows it's the only way to save her.

I sat there crying thinking about my own daughter, how much I love her, and how terrible it would be to have to scrape all memories away of her. The times I would push her on the swing, swim with her as she begged me to catch her "one more time" off the side of the pool, or just hear her call me "daddy" or "dad." That would be TERRIBLE!

We can learn a lot from "the man with the horned-rimmed glasses" about sacrificial love. A love that puts its object before his/her own desires and endures pain because it is what's best for the loved one.


1 comment:

C said...

BTW, I started reading this post when you first wrote it, and tonight I just finished the finale (free episodes online).

AMAZING show, and I'm totally hooked. Cheaper than renting movies this summer, though.