Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Quarter of an Inch!

I have been cutting my own hair for the last seven or eight years. The routine is simple, lay out a sheet of newspaper on the bathroom counter, take out the clippers with the quarter-inch guard already on it, and zip it over my balding head.

Monday morning I awakened around 6:15 after a weekend of restless nights and the weighty thoughts of a few clients I was going to see that day with whom I had been struggling or had been particularly burdened. I set out the newspaper (Baptist Standard sheets) and plugged in the clippers. I zipped the clippers from the bottom right corner of my scalp up to the top of my right ear. The hair fell on to the paper and I thought, "that seems like an awful lot of hair." I looked at my clippers, and there was no guard!!

I instantly panicked because I had been ribbing my wife for a while now about going to the skin and knew she hated the idea. "She's going to think I did this on purpose!" So with one strip of hair gone. I awakened her and looked down at her with wide eyes and said, "I think I messed up!" She grogily asked me what I was talking about, and I turned around to point to the patch of missing hair. She said, "Well, I guess there's not much you can do about it now." rolled over, and went back to sleep.

So, taking my wife's words of wisdom to heart, I completed the task. I never knew a quarter of an inch of hair added so much until now.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. I have been wanting to do the same thing for the past few years and just have not had the nerve to do it.

Tommy

emily and kyle said...

It really doesn't even look bad!! You know you did it on purpose though...I'm telling on you.

Anonymous said...

It's not as bad as I feared it might be, but I STILL like it better the other way. Please don't let people sway you the other way! :)
Your concerned wife<3

Cammie said...

The Paul I remember from HPU didnt have much hair anyway :)

I found you thru 'Deadwoman's' website. Nice to 'see' you again.