Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Appreciation

I can't believe I am beginning a blog posting about American Idol... I have never been a consistent watcher of the show. I usually watch the auditions for comedic and voyeristic reasons, and then I'll probably watch the last few weeks. This season, I'm hooked. There is an incredible amount of talent, but there is only one contestant that truly has my attention. (However, I must also note, that no one has my vote because I'm just not going to pay for the text message. Call me cheap. I've been called worse). The one contestant that has my attention is 17-year old David Archuleta. Not only is he one of the top 3 in talent among the guys, he seems to genuinely appreciate this experience. He is confident but not arrogant. There is no sense of "entitlement" to his personality. David truly seems to be cherrishing this experience with humility. I find that refreshing.

I see the same kind of appreciation in professional artist/songwriter Taylor Swift. At this point in their careers, David and Taylor seem to be having fun and not being sucked in by the hype and/or success garnered them by the media and fans. I hope they don't lose it. I hope they don't believe the stories written about them and become full-fledge member of the entertainment industry complete with the attitude that common Americans are blessed to be around them and they now somehow deserve lavish gifts. I still want them to offer to pay for their meals and not expect for the tab to be written off by the restraunt because the establishment is fortunate to have them dine there. I hope they keep their witts about them and their egos in check.

I know its premature to count Archuleta among the ranks of Swift, but my guess is, he is going to stay in the competition a very long time and the innocense can be lost and entitlement found even in the midst of all the hype and success of the show.

I hate to see innocense lost.

No comments: