Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fast - Day One and Two

I recently read an article that offered a challenge to take a fast from social networking.  I decided to take the challenge.  Yesterday, I parked in the lot of my work, opened my phone and deleted the apps for Facebook and Twitter.  My thoughts are to see how much I have conditioned myself to check these sites, how much it has impacted by efficiency, to what degree I would have "withdrawals", and if I would be more socially engaged in my relationships.

I am not one who updates statuses multiple times a day, but I do check FB multiple times a day.  If I do post an update, I find myself checking more frequently just to see if people have commented.  Twitter is something I check 3 times a day.

Day 1:  This day at work was an administrative day which seems more inclined for checking my sites.  However, I found that I thought about it very little.  I attribute this to the initial commitment to begin the fast and expect this determination to diminish along the way.  I do find myself having thoughts/insights and thinking, "that would make a great status."  Along the lines of efficiency, I found myself getting more work done.  Withdrawals are not significant, and although I find myself more engaged or attempting to be, I find that many of those in my circle are checking Facebook and Twitter.

Day 2:  I awakened this morning and fought the urge to immediately check Facebook.  I thought about checking FB multiple times today (esp. when family members were discussing posts).  In terms of efficiency, I got a large amount of papers graded and found myself taking breaks to check e-mail and "Hanging with Friends." 

I would like to read more, and get more done around the house.

I don't know how long I will fast, but it will be at least a week.

If you are linking to this article through Facebook, I am automatically posting without getting on the site.

No comments: